Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pieterburen, starting point

Pieterburen's main claim to fame is the seal rescue centre of Lenie 't Hart (PS they do really good work, and can always use a little extra cash) and the starting point of the Pieterpad (or the end, depending on from which direction you walk the route). It lies in the Province of Groningen and it's pretty old - the oldest paperwork that mentions Pieterburen is from 1371.

I've been there before, many years ago when I went walking on the Wad (mud flats in the Wadden Sea), back when I was a student. Next weekend I'll be there again. As my memory serves me, it's a sleepy little village where the people are friendly. I don't expect it to have changed much.

Marjon won't be joining me (us??) next weekend, she says. It's okay, she can always join me on another leg of this walk. It will take a while to finish!

KNMI's long-term prediction is looking excellent:
vrijdag 25 april tot en met maandag 28 april 2008
Grote kans op rustig weer met een kleine kans op neerslag. Temperaturen een paar graden boven normaal.

I purchased the Nivon guide to the Pieterpad, part 1.
This week, I'll be booking the places I'll be staying overnight and packing my backpack.
I'm ready!! :-)

No comments: